Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Ideal Shawarma.. Where art thou?



One of us at Doha Diaries dreams of the perfect Shawarma. Read on...

Dreams have such a powerful effect. Whether you remember the dream or not, there are days when you wake up in a mood and you are not sure why it lingers on without a rhyme or reason. Have you ever had those days? I know I have. This morning was one such day.
I woke up hungry and it was not just a little craving that was easy to get rid of. I woke up ravenous for some Shawarma. The dream was vivid and exquisite. I was walking through the streets of Doha taking in the wonderful aromas of sheesha, attar and smokey meat. I could see the people sitting around tables covered with different kinds of food. The air had a slight chill in it and the feeling of being in that place just filled me with an odd sense of satisfaction.
Everyone around was smiling and talking about this and that, it seemed as if everyone knew one and other and so did I. As I walked on, I smiled at many and they all returned the greeting with warmth. Finally I spotted a table that I surely felt was mine. I sat down and waited for someone to come get my order. No one did. This didn’t seem to perturb me at all. I just sat there taking in the sights and smells of the place. All my senses were heightened and I knew I was in for something spectacular.
Soon enough a waiter walked towards me holding a tray that didn’t seem to have much on it. I have to say I was a little disappointed. After seeing all the food around me I thought I was going to be spoilt rotten with a feast. The tray had two things on it, a glass of lemon mint juice and one Shawarma. As the plate was kept before me I saw the dish. It seemed like perfection, the meat looked moist and succulent, the bread looked soft with lightly browned areas and the juices of the shawarma were gently falling onto the plate. I could not wait to dig in. I took a bit of the bread which had some tahina on it and put it into my mouth. The feeling was indescribable. It seemed to hit the spot and I couldn’t hold myself back any longer. I was going to gobble that shawarma up like a caged animal set free, without a care in the world. I picked up the shawarma and raised it to take my first bite when....BEEEEEEEEEP....
My alarm went off. I woke up with my mind reeling and stomach yearning. So many feelings were bubbling up inside me. I was angry, craving, expectant, hungry to the point of desperation.
Now I cannot seem to keep my mind on anything except going on a search for that perfect shawarma. Let me know what your favourite shawarma places are and help me find my treasure. My heart is set on it and I feel like I have fallen in love.

Could you please help Doha Diaries find the perfect Shawarma?  

3 comments:

  1. makes me wanna have one too! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah, The age old Doha debate... to find the best shawarma ever...

    This one's not in Doha, but at Wakra (I think they have another place at Doha, not sure where).. They're Marmariz Turkish Restaurant.. Coming from Doha, head towards Wakra, take the left at the Ooredoo R/A to go in, take the left from the next R/A and you'll come towards Retail Mart.. Marmariz is bang opposite...Do try.

    ReplyDelete